MANOR FARM – 0.5ML
Manor Farm is located on the site of a Norman motte and bailey, within which a small, non-conventual Benedictine priory was established in the later 12th century. The moated site was sequestrated by the Crown and granted to King’s College in 1451. The building accounts reveal that Manor Farm was erected over the space of two building seasons by a team including both masons and carpenters. The decision to rebuild may relate to the incoming manorial lessee Robert Drury (d.1535) of Hawstead, Suffolk, previously speaker of the House of Commons. This corresponds with a date range of 1506-11 established by a recent tree-ring survey; it was previously thought to be of late 16th century date.